Prior Emergency Room experience preferred. Requires telemetry, BLS, ACLS, PALS, TNCC, NRP and ENPC upon hire or within 6 months of hire. Excellent written and verbal skills.
Current Iowa license, BLS, PALS, ACLS, telemetry, TNCC.
- Assesses physical, psychological, social, spiritual and educational needs of the patient and family specifically related to age.
- Maintains and respects all patient rights and cares for the patient in a dignified and compassionate manner.
- Initiates nursing history and assessment within 15 minutes of arrival to the ED.
- Summarizes assessment data, which is documented in the electronic health record and communicates to other patient care providers.
- Continuously updates the plan of care based on ongoing assessments.
- Implements interventions based on the assessment
- Assists in development of discharge planning with regard to age, utilizing all available resources.
- Implements nursing plan of care based on provider orders and nursing diagnosis with regard to age in accordance with established Policies and Procedures. Intervenes with appropriate techniques, procedures, and safety precautions.
- Delivers care to the patient in the health care continuum utilizing the nursing process.
- Communicates to the physician and is able to carry out orders.
- Evaluates effectiveness of care given and adjusts accordingly.
- Detects significant changes in patient condition as evidenced by ongoing assessment and documentation.
- Demonstrates ability for priority setting, triage, trauma care, emergency care, and ambulance transport.
- Demonstrates ability to utilize knowledge and skill to triage patients in a multiple trauma situation.
- Activates trauma alert and understands role.
- Demonstrates ability to implement protocols related to child/dependant abuse and reportable conditions.
- Operate ambulance radio and follows appropriate protocols.
- Implements protocols related to transfers and discharges in compliance of COBRA EMTALA regulations.
- Demonstrates appropriate delegation of tasks and duties in the direction and coordination of unit activities, using appropriate organization/priority setting skills.
- Prepares room/supplies/equipment in advance when emergency calls come in.
- Demonstrates ability to activate appropriate on call lists, to include physicians, anesthesia, and staff phone trees.
- Completes appropriate documentation.
- Efficiently coordinates ancillary services.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing technique.
- Initiates discharge instructions prior to discharge, with assurance of patient’s needs and understanding.
- Evaluates effectiveness of care given by all health care team members and adjusts accordingly.
- Complies with all relevant nursing policies and procedures.
- Complies with all relevant HCHC policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates flexibility with all staffing needs.
- Acts as a role model to all staff, displaying exemplary behavior and attitude at all times while at work or at HCHC functions.
- Assists and supports unit budget.
- Assists and supports effective communication on the unit.
- Assists and supports unit and organizational quality initiatives.
- Keeps Nursing Leadership informed of: Unusual patient or staff occurrences, changes in staffing requirements relating to patient activity/acuity, commendable performance and/or disciplinary issues, operational issues within patient care departments
- Serves as a patient advocate at all times.
- Identifies and performs service recovery as needed.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills in the overall management of patient care.
- Supports the philosophy, goals, and objectives of the Nursing Division.
- Acts as a resource person regarding patient care, specialty area, orientation, and teaching of the staff.
- Strives for quality in patient care and, as necessary, challenges and/or corrects errors of peers to ensure patient safety and well-being.
Participates in and supports research programs and activities and performance improvement activities. Also, participates in nursing councils and other activities, which promote the growth and development of nursing and/or patient care.
Maintains self-development and educational standards.
Ability to complete clinical competency skills.
Attendance at 100% mandatory in-services.
Assists with maintenance of equipment assigned to patient care and reports problems and orders service as needed.
Other duties as individually assigned.